Members of the San Jose Fisherfolk Association in Gonzaga, Cagayan fill-out data sheet and assessment form during the Marine Protected Area-Management Effectiveness Tracking Tool orientation-workshop conducted by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Region 2 on June 21, 2012 at the Narek Hall, DENR Regional Office, Tuguegarao City. Issues and concerns on conservation projects were discussed after the workshop. Other people’s organizations in Claveria and Sta. Praxedes, Cagayan also participated in the activity.
USAID Phil Deputy Director Pinzon lauds DENR, PLGU Isabela
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) - Philippines commended DENR Isabela and the provincial government for spearheading the 2015 Earth Day Celebration.
Deputy Program Director Nora Pinzon of USAID Philippines Program Resources Management Office said she was elated that there is a robust pro-environment constituency in Isabela as represented by the large number of participants who joined the Advocacy Walk from Saint Michael Church in Gamu to the Amphitheater of the Provincial Capitol in Alibagu, City of Ilagan.
“I would also like to commend Governor Faustino G. Dy III, for his leadership in celebrating Earth Day in Northern Sierra Madre, a high conservation area for biodiversity and agricultural production,” she said.
Director Pinzon further said that she heard about great work that the province of Isabela has been doing to help conserve biodiversity with the active involvement of the Isabela Environment Protection Task Force in the Environmental Law Enforcement Program.
“We could not have chosen a better time and place to launch the ‘Bright Spots in Hot Spots’ campaign than here in Isabela as we commemorate the 45th anniversary of Earth Day. Having witnessed your efforts, commitment and enthusiasm today, I am confident that your collective actions through this campaign will yield successful results. It is your time to lead, so lead well,” the USAID official said in her message.
Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Officer William C. Savella thanked the USAID for addressing the active threats to biodiversity in the Northern Sierra Madre Natural Park (NSMNP) in Isabela.
“It comes down to making choices, chances and changes. It just takes a little effort to change habits like planting a single tree monthly or yearly, recycling wastes, saving water, switching off lights and fostering biodiversity in the Northern Sierra Madre Natural Park. It takes a little will to preserve our natural resources and protect the environment. We can make a difference,” PENRO Savella said in his opening remarks.
The ‘Bright Spots in Hot Spots’ campaign is a joint project of the USAID and the DENR under the Biodiversity and Watersheds Improved for Stronger Economy and Ecosystem Resilience (B+WISER) Program.
During the launch, hundreds of people in all walks of life demonstrated support for environmental protection and pledged to help conserve the NSMNP.
The Earth Day Celebration was started in 1970 by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson from Wisconsin, after witnessing the ravages of the 1969 massive oil spill in Santa Barbara, California. # (RMC)
- Regional policy to improve survey plan issuance
- New Year Welcome Message of Sec. Paje.
- State of the art forest nursery to boost NGP
- RGAD-FPS spearheads Women’s Month
- REC transfers anew to DOT
- Sec Mamba graces Rubber Tree forum
- ERDS orients CSU studs on CPT
- ERDS clonal nursery, seedling facility undergo expansion for PQPM
- Ducks dominate waterbirds in Region 2
- Composite team cracks down on Isabela illegal logging
- Rizal, Lasam to validate political boundary
- RED Tumaliuan bats for more intensive NGP, FP
- LMS to venture on NGP
- CVARRD to conduct investment forum on rubber
- Sec Paje orders field officials to tap LGUs in NGP
- 2014 NGP target up by 5,000 hectares
- LMD Chief Mabasa passes MATB
- Preaching, doing for greening
- Volunteers commemorate ICCU Day
- Clonal nursery yields over 30 thousand seedlings
- LCEs Adopt Political Boundary Survey
- CSU, DENR ink NGP partnership
- Tree planting to highlight CS anniversary
- Cadastral project rolls in Isabela towns
- Sec Paje exhorts local support to Earth Day
- ADR solves land dispute in Pamplona
- CBFM-CARP project improves people's lives
- Reinforcing’ law enforcers for forest protection
- Going green, growing hope
- DENR to surpass 2013 NGP targets – USEC Ignacio
- CSU, DENR partner for ETS