Members of the San Jose Fisherfolk Association in Gonzaga, Cagayan fill-out data sheet and assessment form during the Marine Protected Area-Management Effectiveness Tracking Tool orientation-workshop conducted by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Region 2 on June 21, 2012 at the Narek Hall, DENR Regional Office, Tuguegarao City. Issues and concerns on conservation projects were discussed after the workshop. Other people’s organizations in Claveria and Sta. Praxedes, Cagayan also participated in the activity.
Mechanized forest nursery aids NGP beneficiaries
Three People’s Organizations (POs) and two Barangay Local Government Units (BLGUs) under the National Greening Program (NGP) were the first recipients of forest tree seedlings produced from the region’s first Mechanized and Modernized Forest Nursery (MMFN) located in Lannig, Solana, Cagayan.
As of August 18, this year, the forest nursery has a total production of 1,348,600 seedlings. Of the total production, 645,027 seedlings were delivered: 481,800 to NGP beneficiaries and 163,227 to other partners and stakeholders.
Seedlings composed of forest and fruit bearing-trees such as Mangium, Mahogany, Gmelina, Ipil-ipil, Falcata, Rain Tree, Narra, and Cacao were distributed to Upland Farmers Association, San Antonio, Baggao; Agri-Fisheries Producers Cooperative, Joacquin Dela Cruz, Camalaniugan; Maguirig Upland Farmers Association, Maguirig, Solana; and BLGUs San Isidro and Zitanga of Claveria and Ballesteros, respectively.
Said seedlings will be planted to the 300 hectares additional NGP reforestation areas covered by the PENR Office of Cagayan aside from its target of seedling production for 2016 which was already more than 100 percent accomplished before June, this year.
The same seedlings to include Fire Tree, Acacia, Anchoan Dilaw, Tindalo and Binuang were also given to LGUs of Tuao and Sta. Maria; Baliuag Elementary School and Bical Elementary School, both in Peñablanca, Cagayan; CENR Office in Cabagan, Isabela; Cagayan I Electric Cooperative; and private individuals.
PENR Officer Felix C. Taguba said he prioritizes disposing the seedlings to the NGP adopters for them to start establishing their plantation this onset of the rainy season.
“As PENR Officer, I personally supervise the operation of the forest nursery in order to ensure the survival of the growing seedlings. This is the first mechanized forest nursery in Region 2 so we have to fully provide technical assistance to run the operation smoothly,” said PENR Officer Taguba.
Operational in February, this year, the MMFN can produce up to 12 million seedlings per year. The seeder machine has the capacity to plant seeds in 200 trays per hour which is equivalent to 20,000 seedlings. These seedlings, which are not the usual ones packed in a soil bag, have higher survival rate and contain proper amount of soil media nutrients composed of coco peat, rice hull, carbonated soil and mycorrhiza fertilizer. #CAT with report from PENRO Cagayan#
- New DAO requires geo-tagging of land for PLAs
- Parties ink Cagayan River Management Agreement
- DENR calls for coastal and marine conservation
- FMB chief presents NGP gains, challenges for 2017 onward
- Reg’l councils cite anti-illegal logging task force
- 6 Schools in Batanes to get special patents
- NGP beneficiaries present best practices in forum
- Hot lumber benefit schools
- TSD Registers 44 cutting permits
- 30th ICC yields 145 sacks garbage in Batanes
- BuB projects support NGP
- USEC Ignacio lauds Region 2 for unity, discipline
- KBP to adopt NGP site
- CENRO Cabagan ties up with LGU Tumauini for cave mgt
- USAID Phil Deputy Director Pinzon lauds DENR, PLGU Isabela
- RD Tumaliuan Earth Day Message
- Regional policy to improve survey plan issuance
- New Year Welcome Message of Sec. Paje.
- State of the art forest nursery to boost NGP
- RGAD-FPS spearheads Women’s Month
- REC transfers anew to DOT
- Sec Mamba graces Rubber Tree forum