RAMON J.P. PAJE: A PROFILE
Secretary Ramon Jesus P. Paje is the 19th secretary of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). Prior to his appointment, he was DENR's undersecretary for field operations and executive director of the Minerals Development Council under the Office of the President in concurrent capacity.
A holder of a doctorate degree in public administration and a top-rank Career Executive Service Officer (CESO I), Sec. Paje's ascension to the post marks the second time in the DENR's 23-year history to have the proverbial "bottom-to-top" success by a rank and file employee.
Fresh from college, he started his government service in 1982 as a junior forester conducting field inspection of reforestation projects of then Bureau of Forest Development (now forest Management Bureau), then rose from the ranks serving the environment and natural resources sector in various capacities, including undersecretary for environment and programs development, assistant secretary for management services, director for human resources development, among others.
Sec. Paje is a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Forestry from the University of the Philippines at Los Baños, Laguna (UPLB). He finished his M.A. in Urban and Regional Planning and Doctor of Public Administration at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City. He has a Certificate on Environmental Economics and Policy Analysis from the Harvard University in Massachusetts, USA.
In 1996, the newly installed DENR chief received the following awards: Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) from the Philippine Jaycees, Outstanding Professional of the Philippines from the Professional Regulation Commission, and the Outstanding Alumnus in Government Service from the University of the Philippines at Los Baños. In 1999, he was the Dr. Jose Rizal "Huwarang Pilipino Awardee" for public service given by the Parangal ng Bayan Awards Foundation.
Secretary's New Year Message
As we welcome 2015, let us rejoice and congratulate each other for the milestones we have reached. We have made giant steps and we are exceeding our targets. We have already achieved a lot.
Allow me to cite a few:
- The National Greening Program (NGP) is 11.6 percent above target. We have reforested 1,005,013 hectares out of the actual target of 900,00 hectares from 2011 to 2014. At the rate we are going, we expect to significantly exceed the NGP target of 1.5 million hectares by 2016;
- We have completed 86.84 percent of the cadastral survey nationwide. We expect to finish this century-old program within this year; and
- We have also completed the 1:10;000 scale geohazard mapping nationwide. All map sheets will be finalized by the end of the year.
It is also gratifying to note that we have installed air quality monitoring stations in each local government unit (LGU) in Metro Manila. We have significantly improved biodiversity protection and implemented reforms in the regulation of endangered species which earned international recognition. We have also retrofitted our research arm to make it more responsive to the current demands of the environment and natural resources sector.
Indeed, there remain many environmental challenges ahead. But with the partnerships we have forged and the support we received from the President, we have the momentum on our side. We are also driven by the high ratings for environmental performance that the Aquino Administration has been earning form the people in the past years.
On this note, allow me to convey my appreciation to our many partners and my congratulations to the women and men of the DENR!
Malayo na ang ating narating. Malaki na ang ating pinagbago. Ang dating akala natin ay imposible ay nagawa nating posible. Sama-sama nating ipagpatuloy ang ating tagumpay upang sama-sama rin nating abutin ang ating mga pinangarap!
Maligayang Bagong Taon sa inyong lahat!
RAMON J.P. PAJE
- State of the art forest nursery to boost NGP
- RGAD-FPS spearheads Women’s Month
- REC transfers anew to DOT
- Sec Mamba graces Rubber Tree forum
- ERDS orients CSU studs on CPT
- ERDS clonal nursery, seedling facility undergo expansion for PQPM
- Ducks dominate waterbirds in Region 2
- Composite team cracks down on Isabela illegal logging
- Rizal, Lasam to validate political boundary
- RED Tumaliuan bats for more intensive NGP, FP
- LMS to venture on NGP
- CVARRD to conduct investment forum on rubber
- Sec Paje orders field officials to tap LGUs in NGP
- 2014 NGP target up by 5,000 hectares
- LMD Chief Mabasa passes MATB
- Preaching, doing for greening
- Volunteers commemorate ICCU Day
- Clonal nursery yields over 30 thousand seedlings
- LCEs Adopt Political Boundary Survey
- CSU, DENR ink NGP partnership
- Tree planting to highlight CS anniversary
- Cadastral project rolls in Isabela towns
- Sec Paje exhorts local support to Earth Day
- ADR solves land dispute in Pamplona
- CBFM-CARP project improves people's lives
- Reinforcing’ law enforcers for forest protection
- Going green, growing hope
- DENR to surpass 2013 NGP targets – USEC Ignacio
- CSU, DENR partner for ETS