DENR to surpass 2013 NGP targets – USEC Ignacio
- Published on Tuesday, 28 May 2013 02:52
Undersecretary for Field Operations Demetrio L. Ignacio Jr. expressed confidence that the DENR will surpass its National Greening Program (NGP) targets for this year.
In his visit to Region 2 for the wake of CENRO Alfredo M. Almueda, USEC Ignacio said that the Department was able to plant 329,000 hectares under NGP which is above its 300,000 hectares target in the past two years. “If we will be able to meet our target by 2016, we can reverse the present situation
wherein our forests are already deforested,” he said.
“Based on the study of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the Philippines has the third fastest growing forest in Asia, next to China and Vietnam and second in Southeast Asia. This is a very good indication of our sincere desire to save our Mother Earth,” USEC Ignacio added as he congratulated Region 2 for being the first to attain its target for the Department’s priority programs last year and for being one of the best performing regions in the country.
On Jan. 14-15, during the first regional management conference for this year, Regional Executive Director Benjamin T. Tumaliuan made an assurance that Region 2 is all set to implement NGP despite of the 142 percent increase in targets for 2013.
One of the highlights of the conference is the deadline for the survey, mapping and planning of NGP potential areas. “The SMP for 2013 should be finished before second quarter,” RED Tumaliuan ordered.
The Provincial and Community Environment and Natural Resources Officers formulated their weekly and monthly timelines on NGP to ensure that their targets are accomplished as planned. “These will also be the basis of evaluating the work performance of the officials at the end of the year as required by the Civil Service Commission,” RED Tumaliuan added.
Last year, Region 2 topped the implementation of NGP nationwide with an accomplishment of 6,776.56 hectares over the target of 5,995 ha or an accomplishment of 113 percent.# (corie corpuz)
State-of-the-art forest nursery to boost NGP
The Cagayan Valley’s state-of-the-art forest nursery is expected to speed up the implementation of National Greening Program (NGP) in the region.
In an interview by ABS-CBN reporter Janford Bonifacio yesterday, DENR Regional Director Benjamin T. Tumaliuan said the Modernized and Mechanized Forest Nursery (MMFN) located in Lannig, Solana, Cagayan is expected to produce at least one million seedlings every month.
“This will boost the NGP because of the demand for seedlings not only by the government but also by the private sector and the people’s organizations (POs). It will also produce vegetable seedlings for distribution to residents in areas covered by Community-Based Forest Management Agreement which they can plant in between the forest tree species in order to sustain economic activities in the locality,” RD Tumaliuan added.
Launched on October 8, 2013, the 2.5-hectare forest nursery is one of the five pilot project sites nationwide. The other sites are found in NCR and Regions 5, 7 and 13. It has a total budget of Php 29,644,000.
The forest nursery is equipped with imported and modern technology facilities that would make up the seedling production area that employs the up-to-date methods of seeding, germination and propagation.
To ensure the production of quality forest and fruit-bearing seedlings, seeds will come from genetically superior sources.
The Cagayan Valley’s environment chief said that the nursery will be operational by the end of this year as the seeder (machine) still has to come from Canada. He enthused that the nursery will produce seedlings with less cost. “Even after the NGP ends in 2016, the nursery will supply seedlings to the CBFM POs which they will use in replanting,” he pointed out. # (VDB)
- RGAD-FPS spearheads Women’s Month
- REC transfers anew to DOT
- Sec Mamba graces Rubber Tree forum
- ERDS orients CSU studs on CPT
- ERDS clonal nursery, seedling facility undergo expansion for PQPM
- Ducks dominate waterbirds in Region 2
- Composite team cracks down on Isabela illegal logging
- Rizal, Lasam to validate political boundary
- RED Tumaliuan bats for more intensive NGP, FP
- LMS to venture on NGP
- CVARRD to conduct investment forum on rubber
- Sec Paje orders field officials to tap LGUs in NGP
- 2014 NGP target up by 5,000 hectares
- LMD Chief Mabasa passes MATB
- Preaching, doing for greening
- Volunteers commemorate ICCU Day
- Clonal nursery yields over 30 thousand seedlings
- LCEs Adopt Political Boundary Survey
- CSU, DENR ink NGP partnership
- Tree planting to highlight CS anniversary
- Cadastral project rolls in Isabela towns
- Sec Paje exhorts local support to Earth Day
- ADR solves land dispute in Pamplona
- CBFM-CARP project improves people's lives
- Reinforcing’ law enforcers for forest protection
- Going green, growing hope
- DENR to surpass 2013 NGP targets – USEC Ignacio
- CSU, DENR partner for ETS